Friday, February 13, 2009

Reality Check on V-Day

*Addendum added at the bottom written the morning after ;)

Tomorrow is Valentine's day, and it is my first time in years since I've been single. You're probably thinking to yourself, "Oh girl, don't be a downer...", but you've thought wrong. Although V-day is a fabricated holiday created by some corporate genius (who ripped the story of St. Valentine and doused it in perfume), this is the first year I've actually grown to appreciate Cupid's annual appearance in every shop and restaurant across the nation. Ironic, I know.... Yes, love should be celebrated on any given day, but why be bitter about people wanting to make this day a special occasion of wining, dining, good entertainment, and the red light special ;), especially if it's not in their character to do romantic things?

Let happy people in love be... and be happy that they've found love, people! Maybe my positivity makes you want to sock me real good right now... and I get that... but hear me out. These are my list of reasons why V-day can be a good thing:

1. It stimulates our economy... it is estimated that V-day spending will still amount to roughly 15 BILLION this year. Recession? What's that?
2. It inspires people to do creative, and sometimes embarrassing romantic gestures
3. It is a reminder of who you should be grateful for, whether it's romantic or platonic love
4. It's an excuse to wear a sexy fit and fiery sassy colors, or dark morbid colors if you so choose
5. Chefs add cool rare specials on their menus
6. It's a great day to people watch
7. People tend to be nicer that day
8. MASSIVE candy/chocolate mark downs on February 15th

V-day is a retail brainchild that will never cease to exist, so perhaps it's best to learn how to co-exist. You won't catch me participating in the fanatical V-day craze in my many years of love to come, but I won't knock anyone for taking part either. Romance comes second nature to me and I don't need V-day to give me a boost of inspiration. Though, I have to say that there are pretty damn cool V-day events I wouldn't mind taking a date because it sounds fun as hell and on the unconventional side. Just don't go seeking a date for the sake of having one specifically for V-day... remember, it's the turtle who wins the race...

Need v-day ideas?? Just ask me. I've got a few ideas rolled up my sleeve in both SoCal and NorCal if you're looking to sweep someone off their feet... there's this especially awesome event going on in SF, but you're gonna have to ask me for more details. Need advice for flyin solo?? I have five words for you - a positive 'tude and lube


Addendum (written at 4AM on February 15th):
I don't know how I'm still functioning... Just had a long ass, exhausting shift at the bar serving a bunch of lovey dovey couples in a dress in heels. Not my usual attire for work since standing/walking 9 hours straight in heels is masochistic, but thought I'd take up my own advice from #4 on my V-day list above. Finally, I am off my feet, curled in bed, cozy and warm. :) So because I probably sounded obnoxiously positive, let me add to my post... Celebrating people in love is a wonderful thing even when you're on the outside of love, but I will not deny that V-day is very much singles' awareness day at the same time.

I am happy where I am, but at the end of the day I am reminded of how nice it is to come home from a crazy day (or any day) to a beautiful face waiting to hold you, kiss you, and maybe even rip off your clothes (oops, that's just my imagination getting carried away again)... and have that be the last face you see at the end of the best and worst days, and the first one when you stretch to face the new day. Who ever tells you otherwise is a big fat liar or is too lost in cynicism to realize. Life is about being happy with who you are and where you go/are going in life, but ultimate fulfullment is also very much centered around LOVE and finding someone who knows you inside and out, and still sees you as the most gorgeous creature to ever exist. So when you have exactly "that thang", appreciate that you've got someone who loves unconditionally, hold tight, "make it work" in the wise words of Ne-Yo, and don't screw up. You'll regret later if ya do, guaranteed. No pressure though... And if you don't got "that thang" yet, don't fret because it's comin, in the meantime, be happy for those who have found it and celebrate a great life lived and to be lived. Now those kinds of people are the most irresistible...

If you haven't realized it yet, I am in love with being in love <3, even though Betty is the one who sleeps on the other side of the bed every night... Betty, being my guitar... and no, i'm not joking. For those who have seen Slumdog Millionaire, can I just say that I got a call from a AAA agent named Latika the day I watched the movie? Yet another reason why I know my destiny is written... Good night world... and hellllllloooo Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment