Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Holdin on for dear life

I met a fascinating man at the bar on Friday, and he came back to chat with me again on Sunday. Sadly, he left today to move permanently to the land down under. Kevin is a humble, well-mannered, but handsome black man in his early 40s. He is married and has a gorgeous son of 18 months. He has such a strong but gentle soul, and is such a positive and honest person. At first, I thought K was trying to hit on me because he kept telling me I was beautiful and had a beautiful, genuine psyche, but I soon realized he was just wanting me to know this about myself. He thought it was important to tell people these kinds of things when you felt it. Although we only talked for less than two hours in those two days, it was clear we had both made an impression on each other. We were alike in character and had very similar philosophies on life and the world... it was eerie. He told me that "when you find someone you've made a deep connection with, hold onto them for dear life" (ND's LIFE LESSON #1). And that really struck a chord with me... so I decided to exhange e-mails with this man I had only known for two hours. Hopefully, I will someday visit K and his family when I travel to Australia. Crazy, huh...

Lately, I've made huge steps in making real connections with people. I've stopped backing away when people get too close... Last night, I hung out after work with two people who are so dear to my heart. We talked about serious and silly things, laughed, cried, drank lots of Champagne, and ate good food well beyond 4am. It was truly one of the most memorable nights of my life... the kinds of moments people should live for... the moments that really matter... the moments that keep my connections to humanity and love alive. It's rare to meet people you want to keep next to your heart all the way to your grave, and Kevin is so right... I am going to hold onto these amazing people for dear life.



Champagne and Tsar Nicoulai caviar... I had to document last night. Wow, seems so bougie, don't it? Oh, the perks of working for a great bar ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment